I am living out of boxes right now and it stinks...but...we're moving...YAY!...so it's worth it! We're moving to a new place and we're finally getting more space. The kitchen is so much bigger and brighter and I can't wait to get in there and make a mess. There is no better way to realize you may have hoarding tendencies than having to pack up all your crap. So because the other half is awesome and packed up all the kitchen stuff I have been forced to eat out more often and that includes breakfast. I was craving a doughnut and I felt if I get a doughnut for myself I should bring enough for the rest of the class so I got enough for the office. Too much in fact...but don't worry...no wasting sweets here.
Don't know what to do with those left over doughnuts from work this morning? Don't throw them away, save them and make some doughnut pudding, it's like bread pudding made with doughnuts instead. So much prettier too..especially if you include some sprinkle topped ones and jelly filled...so colorful.
Just take some old doughnuts.
Tear them up
Then pour a sweet custard over them...bake...and voila...Doughnut Pudding!
Better than bread
Doughnut Pudding with Whiskey Ice Cream Sauce
6 day old doughnuts, torn into chunks
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13x9 baking dish.
2. Place torn doughnuts in a greased 13x9 baking dish and sprinkle chopped pecans over the top.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk,vanilla, sugar, and melted butter that has cooled.
4. Pour the wet mixture over the doughnuts and let soak in about 10 minutes.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
6. For the whiskey ice cream sauce just melt 1 cup of your favorite vanilla ice cream with a tbsp of whiskey and you're all set.