Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Healthy Trail Mix Muffins


Ok so sue me, I've hopped on the healthy wagon. Unfortunately I'm not one of those girls that is just naturally skinny, especially with all these yummy sweets around. I've tried cutting my portions in half, the 3 day diet, the grapefruit diet (talk about gross!), I've even tried the Atkins diet, way back when. None of them work! What I've found to work, and this is for me, is to cut my calorie intake, and throw in some daily exercise to tighten things up. Now this doesn't mean I am depriving myself of food, by not eating enough or by not eating what I like. I do this by taking a recipe I like and replacing it with healthier options. Now I'm not gonna lie! These muffins are not as good as their full fat, full sugar, all white flour counterpart, but they do the job by cutting the craving and cutting the calories. If these sound good and you're not watching your girlish figure feel free to use the good stuff! If you could use a few more of these "healthier" versions, then you are in luck! I've got this beautiful, talented friend, Randi, that cooks like this as her way of life. The other half and I usually go to her house for dinner every weekend. :) Anywho, she just started her own blog where she will be posting her yummy recipes along with her crafts and tips to get through the day as a busy mama. She even makes her own wreaths and will be selling them on etsy soon.
Isn't it beautiful!? Go visit her! 

Don't fret it won't all be the healthy kind around here, it's all good in moderation right? At least that's what I keep telling myself. Happy baking!

PS. If any of you guys have a good low cal recipe send it my way, I'd love to try it, and I'll be sure to give you all the credit. Email Me! 

PSS. I'd like to apologize if you don't see a comment that you may have left. I accidentally deleted a few of them one night while I was playing on my iPad. Unfortunately I wasn't able to recover them. So sorry!

Now onto what we're here for.....

Healthy Trail Mix Muffins 
Makes 12 muffins 

Ingredients 
· 1/4 cup ripe banana mashed 
· 1 tablespoon canola oil 
· 3/4 cup Splenda 
· 1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend 
· 2 eggs 
· 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour 
· 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
· 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
· 1/4 teaspoon salt 
· 1 teaspoon vanilla 
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon 
· 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 
· 3/4 cup nonfat yogurt 
· 1/2 cup trail mix (I used a raw granola trail mix from Spouts) 
· Extra Splenda brown sugar blend and chopped pecans for topping (optional) 

Directions 
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper muffin liners and spray them with cooking spray. 

2. In a large bowl, stir together the banana, sugars, vanilla, yogurt and eggs. Combine the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to the wet mixture and mix well. Then fold in the trail mix. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Cups should be at least 3/4 full. 

3. Then sprinkle with Splenda brown sugar blend and chopped pecans. 

4. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until muffins spring back when touched lightly.

135 Calories - 4g Fat - 6g Sugar

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Kristin...I love you! The muffins look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muffins are a great on-the-go breakfast- will definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...