Thursday, July 19, 2012

Brown Sugar Blondies with Caramelized Frosting


FYI...sweet tea ice cream sounds like a great concept but when executed with tea bags...not such a great idea. I tried making green tea ice cream with tea bags before, also didn't turn out well...I should have known.

I will tell you what a GREAT idea is though...make these blondies! You will be thanking me, I promise.

They are sooo good! They are very brown buttery and brown sugary...mmmm...can't go wrong with that. I actually didn't make these first, my boss found the recipe on pinterest and brought them to work. We're thinking about having a pinterest party and making a bunch of dishes from pinterest and having a little luncheon. Our co-workers are so lucky to have us. ;) I loved these blondies so much I had to share them and I made a double batch for the other half to take to work with him. Share the wealth, is what I always say. :) It actually reminds me of something my grandmother would have made. 

So who's happy Breaking Bad is back on? Me, me! So excited for this season and I can't wait to see what kind of trouble they get into. 

Ok go make these...now.


Brown Sugar Blondies with Caramelized Frosting

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon maple extract
2 tablespoons milk
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350. Spray the bottoms and side of an 8 x 8 baking pan.

2.  Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Removed from heat and stir in brown sugar, vanilla, maple, milk and egg (yes, just add them into the saucepan – I use a 3 quart sauce pan even when I double the recipe).

3.  Stir in remaining ingredients and spread in prepared pan.

4.  Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

5.  While the brownies bake, wash out your pan to use for the frosting. When the brownies come out of the oven, mix the frosting.


Caramelized Frosting

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/8 cup milk
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup pecans, large chopped for garnish (optional)

Directions:
1.  Sift powered sugar (I know . . . you’re wondering if you really need to. Sometimes you can get away without sifting, but in this recipe you really need to or your frosting will be lumpy – remember I warned you).

2.  In a sauce pan, melt butter over low heat and add the brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Add the milk and return to boil. Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm.

3.  Gradually add sifted sugar and continue to mix in the sugar with a wire whisk until smooth (if it gets to thick add a little hot water). Immediately spread onto blondies – it thickens fast.

4.  Sprinkle with pecans if desired and pat them in gently so they stick.

*Note: to make a 9 x 13 pan double the recipe (bake 350 for 25 minutes) and double the frosting.

Recipe re-printed from Caramel Potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...